Thursday, September 4, 2008

9-3-08 Sage ju Sayo & Antique Shopping

I've been in country for 10 days now ...and have learned a lot. Brian and I are having a lot of fun! The time adjustment was a little rough to start out with...but...I'm on track now seeing that we ate dinner last night at 10 pm. One of the things I've learned is how to ask for a discount....Actually a tailor in AL taught me this before coming here. It sounds like Sage ju sayo. The people just laught at me when I say it.

We finally were able to hit up the Antique Market on Tuesday: Jang anpyeong Antique Market. They have a lot of really nice items over here...it's just trying to find the best price which has been a little tricky.

We found a few pieces. The first is a hand carved wooden piece. We plan to rotate it and hang it in a diamond shape on the wall. Supposedly it comes from North Korea...but I really don't think they were for sure. The other piece is a 100 year old Rice chest that comes from an area just south of Seoul...and of course...I had to get the Chinese water bucket. Brian and I picked up a few of these in Europe..but they are better priced here!

So...in the last week, Brian and I finally got our http://www.packet8.net/ phone set up. Check it out...great rates/plans and your number will never change. I have learned how to navigate myself on the subway, how to buy fruit/veggies from a fruit stand..and ask for 1/2...using hand gestures, how to walk miles and miles just looking at the sites, how to taste various Korean cuisine at a Seoul food festival, how to cheer for the LG Twins at a baseball game, and how to buy/negotiate and have furniture delivered to our house. Whew...I'm tired now!!!

Rice Chest and Carving Piece
We just think this is amazing...all hand carved!
Thanks Mom, Dad, Lacey, and GMaw for the Early Dirty 30 Birthday $
Chinese Water Bucket

No comments: